A busy Sunday afternoon in the Garden tidying and harvesting

It was a chilly day down my way Sunday but one of those lovely sunny afternoons which as long as you are suitably wrapped up against the cold is lovely to work in. I dug out the old West Ham woolly hat and a thermal vest and ventured bravely into the cold. 

I mentioned earlier this month that the clearing of leaves will be high on the list of jobs in November and as you can see from the photo below I've had a few fall in the garden over the last few days! It might not be everyone's idea of a fun afternoon but once you get going raking-up leaves can be quite therapeutic and gives you a little cardio workout to boot. Okay, it's not like going on a ten-mile run but you can get a sweat on plus you do get a feeling of a job well done when finished. 

I decided to cobble together a Leaf Mould bin; as described in the What jobs need doing in the garden in November post it doesn't have to be the most elaborate of structures. As you can see from the photo I have  simply wrapped some chicken wire around four sticks to create a very simple 'bin'. The leaves were dumped in and will be left to slowly breakdown over the coming weeks to form Leaf Mould; this will in turn be used as a mulch around the garden or added to compost to form potting mixes in due course. 

The Agapanthus have been moved to their winter quarters in the Greenhouse. Truth be told I am not sure which are hardy and which aren't so rather than tale a chance all have been moved undercover for the coming colder weeks. I may repot some of them at some point during the winter or in early spring. I am a huge fan of Agapanthus and expect a few more will be purchased in the New Year as well. 

Having had a slight frost in the morning, and being in the mood, I have pulled up the first two Parsnips. I have been growing the Gladiator F1 variety and on early evidence they have gone well. As you will see from the picture below one is a thing a beauty straight, long and of impressive size, plenty enough for a roast dinner on a chilly Sunday afternoon. The other is a bit of an ugly duckling but will, I have no doubt, taste just as sweet when roasted! 

Cheers 🍺


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning and preparing the Vegetable Patch for the coming growing season

Planning for the garden in 2024

Taking cuttings from established plants and selecting bulbs for next years display in the garden